Visualizer Manager code

Visualizer Manager code

PostPosted by dhill » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:26 pm

My application allows users to load their own music and drive four variables in program. I'd like for them (the more motivated ones, anyway) to be able to customize the response for a particular piece of music, so Visualizer Studio seemed like just the ticket with the display of levels in different frequency ranges. From this base I could modify the source to integrate this functionality into my application.

It looks like the source code doesn't cover Visualizer Manager, though. Am I right, or am I missing something?

I will get good value from your code in any case, as it is much better organized than what I've cobbled together for myself, but having your debugging output code as a model would also have been helpful.
dhill

Re: Visualizer Manager code

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:33 pm

dhill wrote:My application allows users to load their own music and drive four variables in program. I'd like for them (the more motivated ones, anyway) to be able to customize the response for a particular piece of music, so Visualizer Studio seemed like just the ticket with the display of levels in different frequency ranges. From this base I could modify the source to integrate this functionality into my application.

It looks like the source code doesn't cover Visualizer Manager, though. Am I right, or am I missing something?

I will get good value from your code in any case, as it is much better organized than what I've cobbled together for myself, but having your debugging output code as a model would also have been helpful.

So, did you buy Visualizer Studio off of the asset store, or did you buy the Pro version with source code from my website? The only way to get full access to the source code is to buy the pro version off of my website. (I give a discount if you already own the basic version)

However, Visualizer Studio requires that you use an AudioSource in Unity to visualize the music, as it uses built in unity support from AudioSource to get the FFT. Do you have a system that allows users to select their own music, and play it through an AudioSource in unity?
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by dhill » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:13 am

Please make this distinction more clear in your offering in the Asset Store. When you say "Visualizer Studio Pro w/source code can also be purchased on our website!" I naturally thought this was Visualizer Studio Pro, and it could also be purchased on your website. There was no mention that this was a "basic" version. Other publishers such as StarScene offer the same product on their website and in the Asset Store, so I thought this is what you were referring to. Of course I can see now how it can be read the way you intend, but best to make it clear from the beginning.

Yes, my users are responsible for producing an Ogg Vorbis version of their music and placing it in a designated folder. I expect only users who want to use it for art installations or performances will be motivated enough to do this, and they will probably want to tune the program's response to particular music. I was thinking of storing their parameters in a database and altering the visualization at runtime. In the current version the 4 frequency ranges are fixed, the program automatically adjusts to the levels in these ranges over time, and they can only control the overall degree of response to the music, which is probably best for the casual user.
dhill

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 pm

dhill wrote:Please make this distinction more clear in your offering in the Asset Store. When you say "Visualizer Studio Pro w/source code can also be purchased on our website!" I naturally thought this was Visualizer Studio Pro, and it could also be purchased on your website. There was no mention that this was a "basic" version. Other publishers such as StarScene offer the same product on their website and in the Asset Store, so I thought this is what you were referring to. Of course I can see now how it can be read the way you intend, but best to make it clear from the beginning.

Yes, my users are responsible for producing an Ogg Vorbis version of their music and placing it in a designated folder. I expect only users who want to use it for art installations or performances will be motivated enough to do this, and they will probably want to tune the program's response to particular music. I was thinking of storing their parameters in a database and altering the visualization at runtime. In the current version the 4 frequency ranges are fixed, the program automatically adjusts to the levels in these ranges over time, and they can only control the overall degree of response to the music, which is probably best for the casual user.

I'm sorry that you found it confusing, however if you look at the package contents in the Unity asset store, you will clearly see that it contains Dlls.

In terms of what you want to do, I'd think you would theoretically be able to create/modify VisDataGroups on the fly based on player input. I've not done it personally though. Let me know if that helps.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Discussion