Differences between Sage and Mecanim

Differences between Sage and Mecanim

PostPosted by David » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Can someone tell the difference between using Sage and Mecanim? What's the advantage of using Sage over Mecanim?

I am familiar with Mecanim and it's seems very power to me.

Thanks
David
David

Re: Differences between Sage and Mecanim

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 pm

To be quite honest, I've not used Mechanim in depth, so I can't really speak to all the differences. The main differences is that Sage works with Unity 3.5.x, and a full source code license is available. I'm not certain, but I believe that Sage is more extensible that Mechanim (due to being able to get all the source code in the pro version). Sorry I can't answer be more detailed than that. :-/ Let me know if you have any other questions.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by Steviebops » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 am

Mecanim has strict requirements (from my experience), with models. That means you may be required to change your bone hierarchy to suit it.

That was the deal breaker for me, as I use IK hands, which mecanim wouldn't accept.
Steviebops

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 am

Steviebops wrote:Mecanim has strict requirements (from my experience), with models. That means you may be required to change your bone hierarchy to suit it.

That was the deal breaker for me, as I use IK hands, which mecanim wouldn't accept.

Thanks for the input on this! As for Sage, it doesn't care what your models or animations are. Sage wraps the Unity animation system to handle blending and state machines for you. All Sage cares about is that your object has an animation component in it with animations. :-)
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Discussion