Locomotion System and SAGE Anim graph editor

Locomotion System and SAGE Anim graph editor

PostPosted by Deckard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:20 am

I have just purchased the SAGE Anim graph editor from Altered Reality Entertainment. But I cannot get it to work in combination with the Locomotion System.

One of the things which the Locomotion System does is create at runtime a series of animation clips:
- the default "LocomotionSystem" clip
- one clip for each motion group, named after the motion group's name
- duplicate versions of the walk cycles, named after the original animation clip with the "_bk" suffix

Although I have not had any problem to access these locomotion system's clips in my own scripts until now, it seems that SAGE is not being able to do so.

I have selected [custom] in the Anim List node in the SAGE Editor and manually entered the name of the locomotion groups which would be created upon startup of the game.

But this doesn't work and I'm getting the following error :
"[Sage] Trying to set an anim clip weight on an anim clip that doesn't exist, "LocomotionSystem"!"

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Deckard

Re: Locomotion System and SAGE Anim graph editor

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 pm

If they are AnimClips on the Animation component, then I'd think it should work. It sounds to me like it could be an order of initialization issue. Have you tried leaving the SageController component disabled until the game starts and the locomotion systems has been initialized, and then enabling the SageController?
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by Deckard » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:15 am

I have tried the following solutions:
- only activating the Sage library after the Locomotion System,
- modifing the execution order of the Locomotion System and the Sage library using the Script Execution Order Settings.

None of the above solutions worked.

The only workaround I found is to create placeholder animations with the same names as the locomotion groups which are created at runtime and assign those placeholder to the Sage states. Then at runtime the Locomotion System automatically replaces those placeholders with the actual locomotion groups.

I still get warnings from the Sage library when transitioning to one of the locomotion groups because it seems the way the locomotion system works is to animate all locomotion groups simultaneously. The active locomotion group has a weight of 1 while the inactive ones have a weight of 0. The transition from one group to another is done by modifying their respective weight.
Deckard

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:47 pm

If it seems that the locomotion system is trying to interact with the same animations, then this definately would create problems. Sage directly controls the animation states in the Animation object. If you want to use Sage with the Locomotion system, then it seems you will have to have them use different animations. I.E., let the locomotion system handle the movement, and have sage handle other states. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's not something I've had a need to try.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Discussion