IMPORTANT: Upgrading Sage Libraries from Basic to Pro

IMPORTANT: Upgrading Sage Libraries from Basic to Pro

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm

It has been brought to my attention that when upgrading from Sage Basic \w Dlls to Sage Pro \w Source Code, Sage Library files are not properly brought into Unity correctly. After spending some time researching this issue, I have figured it out and determined a workaround.

Unfortunately this is a Unity issue, and quite an annoying one. Sage saves out a Unity asset (using built in serialization), which is associated with a specific script ID in that Unity project. And when you remove the Sage DLLs and add the source code, the script id for the SageLibraryAsset has changed. Then, when you update the script for the Sage asset to point at the new version of SageLibraryAsset, it completely erases all of the data that was previously serialized with that asset! II'm not able to come up with an automated way to solve this issue, as it automatically happens when you update the script reference in Unity. However, I did figure out a manual work around, as follows...

1. Open the project you wish to upgrade to Sage source code.
2. Make sure you have "Force Text Assets" turned on for your project.
3. Import the Sage source code Unity package.
4. Delete Sage.dll, Sage.xml, SageEditor.dll, and SageEditor.xml
5. Create a new Sage Library.
6. Open that new Sage Library asset in a text editor.
7. Copy the line with "m_Script" on it (should be 11th line). This is what tells Unity what script this asset points to.
8. Open each Sage Library asset file you had from the DLL version, and replace its "m_Script" line with the new one you just copied.

Performing those steps should allow you to use your existing Sage libraries with the source code version. I'm VERY sorry about this issue, but unfortunately, I don't think there is anything I can do about this. Let me know if anyone has any other questions at all.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Discussion