State Machine Behaviour

State Machine Behaviour

PostPosted by ncarota » Mon May 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi,

I'm having a difficult time getting some nested SM conditions to work. I'm trying to create an animation graph for our vehicles that transitions out of a locomotion pSM into a static death state. I don't want to have to create a condition for every blend graph(there are several) so the idea is to nest all of the locomotion into a state, and then condition it for a death event, to transition it to a dead state. For example I have my main state machine with four pSM and another SM. There is a forced Condition to transition when damage=1. When the condition becomes true, it transitions the first pSM out and starts the single SM. Why is it doing this? shouldn't it turn off all of the PSM instead of a random one? Dosen't that mean I've actually made a normal SM into a pSM.

Another issue is that when i create another condition out of the SM, it ignores it and stays active. it also seems SM's nested under the main SM have no options like start active? Why is this?

I'm actually trying to use SM's because they have in and out conditions. Why don't pSM have these as well?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions :)

Nick

Thanks
ncarota

Re: State Machine Behaviour

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Mon May 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Don't worry about all the questions, I am more than happy to help!

It's a bit hard to understand completely how you have everything setup through text. For clarification though, it might be worth while to detail how each are expected to work.

Normal nested State Machines are considered normal states in the State Machine they belong in, so they will be transitioned into/out-of as a normal state. Parallel State Machines are ALWAYS active when their parent State Machine is active, and will then blend in/out with their parent. Normal nested State Machines are typically used for things like a nested Move state, that can then have a Walk and Run state in it. Parallel State Machines are typically used for things that are always active, such as a tail wag animation for a dog character when it's main state machine is running. That way, if it's main state machine stops and goes into a "stunned" state machine (as an example), then it would stop playing the tail wag parallel state machine.

Does that clear anything up for the issues you are having? If not, could you please post some pictures of how your graphs are setup, and illustrate your problems along with them? That would make it a lot easier to understand your issues. (You could also email them along with questions to AlteredRealityEnt@yahoo.com if you don't want to post them publicly)

Thanks!
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Discussion