Fighting game

Fighting game

PostPosted by J Bowman » Tue May 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Would this tool be ideal for setting up animations and controls for a fairly complex 3d fighting game like Virtua Fighter or Tekken
J Bowman

Re: Fighting game

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Yeah, I think Sage would perfectly fine for a fighting game! I could foresee setting up the entire animation state machine for each character in it, and using the Trigger node to for state transisitons as needed. (such as when a button is pressed to perform an attack)

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 pm

How would one go about making a combo system akin to the one found in Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter?
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 pm

As mentioned above, I would probably try and setup the entire graph for a character, complete with creating links for all valid animation transitions. Attacks can transition into any other valid attacks. However, for actually transitioning between states, I'd recommend using code in your _GameController.cs script files. That way you have complete control over the transition logic. Does that help?
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am

Yes it makes sense but I am a artist and not a coder so implementing advance control configurations may be troublesome for me.
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Are you working with a coder on your project? This definitely seems like something they'd need to handle. I've worked on a fighting game before, and this is how I would go about doing this.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:35 am

I don't have a coder just yet as I am creating the characters and other assets for the game. Do you have any tips and tricks that you can share with your experience in creating a fighting game anything that you think can help ease the experience along any reference material or examples that you can point me to
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:05 am

The main trick I can think of suggesting is that you make extensive use of Animation Events in your animations. For the games I've worked on, I've used animation events to determine things like when a combo window opens/closes and when an animation can be interrupted. And definitely perform attack transitions through code, as you will likely need more control over if/when transitions can take place. Let me know if you have any other specific questions. :)
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:50 am

What would you say is the key to making responsive controls while avoiding choppy animation transitions ?
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Well, to be honest, most fighting games have VERY choppy animation transitions in specific circumstances. This is usually when starting a new attack or pulling off a counter or something like that. I'd recommend controlling this through the state graph itself. It's really up to the style of the fighting game, but I find responsiveness is more important than smooth blending in a fighting game.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Next

Return to Questions and Discussion