Fighting game

Re: Fighting game

PostPosted by J Bowman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:32 pm

This game has a choreographed rhythmic style more akin to the martial arts movies of the 70's so fluid animation is a priority but so is responsive controls
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Well, if fluid, well blended animations are important, but also feeling responsive, then I'd definitely have VERY good audio cues to make sure the player knows their action was taken.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Yes audio and visual cues play a big part in the game. Audio cues are actually really important for martial arts actors for timing
J Bowman

PostPosted by J Bowman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Do you know of convenient way to sync block animations to attacks to where it would look choreographed like a martial arts film
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:20 pm

The only way I know of is to to basically have two characters start a synchronized animation at exactly the same time and in very specific positions relative to each other. That way, the characters animate as one. This is how I've done it in games I've worked on before.

However, this is not something that Sage supports, but if you can figure out how to do it with Unity, you can suspend the Sage libraries on the two characters while the animations are being played.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:03 pm

How would they start at the same time if the defender is blocking after the attacker attacks?
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Yeah, that there is the tricky part of the problem. :-)

To do such a thing well has never been the easiest thing to pull off. The only other option I can think of it some sort of IK applied to the attacks to make the hands approach the opponents block so that they connect. As I mentioned though, this is not a simple problem to solve in most cases. And the solution to it really depends on the needs of the game. This is one of those things that really helps to have a programmer help with. :-)
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by J Bowman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:58 pm

That thought actually crossed my mind I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to programming theory but having the limbs intercept is something that is prevalent in kung fu movies so it would fit the system perfectly. Just don't know how hard it would be for a programmer to execute. How about this the specific block animations can be activated based on the frame window of the attack if i'm not mistaken there is a frame freeze in street fighter when an attack connects to show the impact could that be applied to this as well
J Bowman

PostPosted by J Bowman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Have you played the game Overgrowth by Wolfire the defense mechanic is implemented similar to my idea is his method more in the range of possibility in your opinion?
J Bowman

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 pm

To be honest, you are more talking about game feature implementation. I'm not sure best how to implement the features needed for your game without spending ALOT more time on it. From what you are saying though, it seems like you need custom IK code to handle your defense system. The IK features are beyond the scope of Sage. Sorry I can't be more help on the IK features. Please let me know if you have any more Sage specific questions. :D
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and Discussion