Add Input for Normalized Time To Animation

Add Input for Normalized Time To Animation

PostPosted by GeraldO » Wed May 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi there,

First of all, I want to point out that your tool is quite useful however, it doesn't currently meet the demands of the artists and designers at my studio.

We're transitioning from our current home-brewed animation system to Sage and make heavy use of AnimationState.normalizedTime for physics driven additive animations. I'm finding it difficult to integrate Sage with our physics driven animations as it appears that the only controls exposed are for speed and weight of the individual animations based on the float variable inputs.

Could this be something which could be included in a future release? Potentially sooner than later? Through either a new node or input to the animation node?
GeraldO

Re: Add Input for Normalized Time To Animation

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Thu May 10, 2012 10:54 pm

While it would technically could be possible to do this through a new node, I'm worried it wouldn't really fit in/and or work with how blend graphs work in Sage. Any animations referenced in blend graphs, and all graphs under them, are automatically enabled to play back once the topmost parent blend graph becomes active. And in most cases, Sync Anims is true, which makes it so all of the animations normalizedTime are synced up. Adding a node or port that directly controls the normalizedTime would likely either over complicate what Blend Graphs do, or simply cause issues with how they currently work. However, I will give it more thought and see if I can think of an elegant way to implement this feature.

Have you tried simply using Sage for all other animations, and using a custom system working in tandem that controls the physics driven animations? Such a setup would work just fine, as long as those animations are not used in any graphs. Is that a possibility?

Keep in mind though, if a feature is beyond the scope of what we will do with Sage, source code is available ($300 for source code and a full site license). Custom nodes to meet your exact needs could be created by your programmers with the source code.

Let me know if my initial suggestion is a possibility though. Thanks!
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by GeraldO » Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply: my studio did actually pay for the full site license + source code. I went to work shortly after posting: digging through the code.

I have to say that I enjoyed working with your code. It's often the case which you find assets and packages in the Unity asset store which are a complete mess and difficult to change/update.

The two separate systems working in tandem sounds like a good idea however, I decided to expose a few extra outputs for the float nodes and added a normalized time input for animation clip nodes with a switch which overrides the speed inputs. I wanted to provide our technical artist with the most flexibility by including our physics animations in the motion graph. This works for us as we haven't used sync layers in our animations as of yet but should this be the case I could always re-introduce the side-by-side system idea quite easily, and even in the generated game controller script.

So far everything is running great, just a few minor visual bugs with the editor. I find that about 50% of the time the nodes I add to the state machine don't appear and I have to close/open the editor window to make them appear. The scroll bars seems to react like something was added however, nothing appears.
GeraldO

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Oh, awesome. Thanks for the support! I'm glad you are finding the code easy to navigate. I didn't plan on releasing the source code when I had originally worked on Sage, but decided to add that option later. So, the code isn't as fully commented as I would like. However, with anything I develop, I try to keep the code clean, readable, and easy to work with. If you come across anything in the code base you would like help with or would like clarified, please feel free to email me at AlteredRealityEnt@yahoo.com anytime!

Also, I'm glad you were able to expose additional properties for what you needed. I am reluctant to add something for that in the mainline version, simply because it would make the tool overall more complicated for the average user to work with. I am still going to give it some thought and see if I can think of a good way to handle such a feature though.

I'll look into the issue with nodes not appearing properly on create. Do you find this is complete random, or are you able to find a case where this will happen quite frequently? Thanks!
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

PostPosted by AlteredReality » Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 pm

So you know, I was able to reproduce and fix the issue with nodes not showing up when they are created. There was another issue with this at one point that I thought I completely fixed, but I missed this case of it! Thanks for reporting it!

The update with the fix should hopefully be released sometime tomorrow along with some other fixes.
Andy - Altered Reality
AlteredReality
Site Admin

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests